There are many things you need to do in order to blog well such as writing, reading, commenting, social sharing, social networking and many other tasks. But out of all reading and writing are the most important ones.
One of my favourite quotes on reading goes like this:
“The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading.” – David Bailey
Why Writing is important for blogging?
Apart from other tasks, the ultimate thing on a blog is content because if someone visits your blog then he doesn’t see the comments, design or anything but they look for relevant content or solution to their problems.
I agree few users and advertisers check all the factors but most of the user base looks for content only. Thus, it is important to write better content on your blog and most importantly write something that solves your readers’ problems.
Why reading is important for blogging?
As a blogger you need to write content regularly for your blog. Being a human you may run out of ideas at times so to avoid such situation, always keep on hunting for new blog post ideas.
One of the ways is to read every day. Yes, reading every day helps you keep yourself updated with the latest blog posts and news. Reading every day doesn’t mean reading only blog posts but you can read newspapers, magazines and any other source you like to read.
Reading helps you get new ideas for blog posts every day. It is indeed necessary for every blogger.
Now, you know why reading and writing is important for blogging. Let’s discuss why bloggers should read and write every:
As said above that reading helps you avoid the run out of idea situation which is correct, but daily reading offers a lot more benefits.
It helps you to:
1) Improve your knowledge: It’s natural that when you read a lot of things on everyday basis, it gives you immense knowledge. I have been reading a lot about blogging and social media lately, and I can say that if I am writing this article for you to read, then it’s because of my readings.
2) Improve your command over the language: Reading more helps you to make a better grip on the language. As you read more from different writers, you come to know about the writing styles, grammar usage and other important things which naturally improve your command over the language.
3) Increase concentration level: Reading is not the best way to increase concentration level but when you read every day, gradually you notice yourself so much involved in reading which is good.
4) Reduces stress: When you become involved in something, you forget your stress at least for some time.
5) Improve writing skills: I have already mentioned that when you read a lot, it improves your command over the language and also improves your knowledge. So when you are good in both, you can write wonderful articles for your readers.
If you want to be one who is heard by the masses (authority in your niche) you have to acquire huge knowledge about the niche and this can only be done through reading. Even Darren Rowse, of problogger.net practises this ritual of reading at least a few different blogs to freshen up his perspective. Make a schedule of reading 1-2 articles every day and also, read newspaper in the morning for not less than 30 minutes.
Writing every day can help you become good at writing as well as it improves your command over the language. A blogger must write every day.
Here I don’t mean by writing killer content every day rather just write anything you love to but do write something daily.
For example; when you are a food blogger and you are currently writing on four to five food recipes. While doing research you may come across some piece of content that is not related to your current project. Now what you should do is bookmark it or save it to your computer so that your next project finds it useful. Similarly jot down your ideas onto a notepad file for writing on it in the future.
It helps you:
1) Reduce stress: Writing is an activity in which you have to delve yourself deep into it which helps you forget all of your sorrows and clutter from your mind. You feel relaxed when you make it a hobby. Writing whatever comes to mind for half an hour every morning is like mediation for your mind. It will help you to declutter and expand your conscious base.
2) Improve writing skills: Writing every day immensely helps you improve your writing skills. I started writing two years ago, and when I go back to look at my articles which I wrote then, I can find so many mistakes and many important elements missing. So, how I can point out my own mistakes? Because with the time, my writing skill has improved, and that lets me see how bad I was at the early stage.
Therefore, it looks like regular writing made me a better writer. I would recommend every blogger to write every day not just to publish the posts daily but to keep indulged into writing. You can publish the posts later or follow a schedule to publish them.
BONUS TIP: Read my article on how to be a better blogger where I take the topic on scheduling your posts as a pro-blogging strategy.
3) Improve blog traffic: When you write every day and publish the blog posts either every day or on certain schedule then it can help you increase your blog traffic.
Visitors come to your blog when you have enough and quality content so when you write daily, you have enough to publish and also, your writing skills get improved due to writing everyday so you have quality as well.
Therefore indirectly, writing increases your blog traffic to a good extent.
4) Make money: When you are blogging, you might want to earn some cool cash out of it and for that you used various monetization ways and even offer some services to others.
Writing can be the best service to offer because your blog showcases your writing talent, and you can get many clients easily and earn some cool cash from it.
BONUS TIP: You wouldn’t want to miss my article on monetizing your blog content.
As you noticed that there are many benefits reading and writing offer. In fact, most of the benefits from writing and reading are very similar but they give benefits in different manner.
Just like doing homework for every school-going kid is important, reading and writing are must do stuff for a blogger whether newbie or experienced.
Thus, don’t waste your valuable time, and work hard for your great future in blogging. I am in contact of many good bloggers who have been reading and writing since long; now they have improved themselves a lot. They are still doing the same way!
Share your thoughts and ideas in comments. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.