Snapchat has created a huge buzz as a fun messaging application. It lets you capture and send self-destructive photos and videos. It does also have a lot more juice and options that you must know and use.
In this article, I will show you how to use Snapchat on your Smartphone.
Let us first understand the concept of Snap which actually makes Snapchat different from all other messaging applications. A snap is nothing more than a self-destructible photo or video and all Snapchat lets you share those photos and videos which last only some time (1-10 sec) as decided by the sender. Snaps take up temporary storage space in your Phone’s internal memory for storing the images and videos. Unlike in WhatsApp which saves all images and videos in your phone memory. It just occupies space temporarily for snaps.
Snapchat is available for both Android and iOS users and can be downloaded from Play Store for Android and AppStore for iOS. Once you download and sign up with Snapchat, a home screen showing the view of your camera appears which seems little different and a bit awkward but don’t give up here. Before I tell you how to capture and send photos and videos, let me introduce you to some terms.
- Snapchatters: All the Snapchat users are called Snapchatters.
- Snapback: Reply given by the recipient to your snap.
- Story: It lets you create a story and send multiple snaps to people you choose. It is nothing more than storytelling through Snapchat.
- Score: Score is the total no. of snaps sent or received by any user and normally appears next to your name in friends’ contact list or vice versa.
- Discover: Discover is another special feature of Snapchat that lets you explore snaps from different editorials like CNN, ESPN, etc.
How to Use Snapchat?
Now it’s time to use Snapchat. Once you sign up with Snapchat, you will be directly shown the homescreen from where you can start capturing and sharing snaps. Before you start capturing snaps, you can add more features and also alter the settings as you want, by swiping vertically down and going into Settings.
After Clicking on the wheel shape settings icon, you will find an option “Manage” under Additional services. Click on that “Manage” and you will get options to enable Filters, Front Facing Camera, and Replay.
Home screen show the camera view with the following options:
- Flash button in the left. It appears if you are using Rear-Camera and that is equipped with flash. Same goes with front-camera.
- Snapchat Icon in the centre to take you to settings, help and other options.
- Camera button in the right to shuffle between front and rear camera.
- Notification symbol in the left showing the no. of unread snaps.
- Big round button in the centre to capture snaps.
- There is a button with 3 horizontal lines in the right that takes you to the stories.
To take a picture, you can tap the big round button in the bottom or long press it to take the video snap. Once you take the picture, Please tap on the image to add a caption to it. Snapchat only allows 31 characters in the caption.
Once you capture your snap, you can do following edits in it before sending it.
- By clicking on the pencil button in the top right, you can draw on your picture using different colour pencils.
- You can change the no. of seconds your snap is going to last before self-destructing by clicking on the round button showing the number of seconds in the bottom left. This can be done up to 10 seconds max.
- You can save the snap in gallery by clicking down arrow like button next to it.
- You can also delete the snap by clicking on the top left cross button.
Then you can send the snap to people by clicking the right arrow like button on extreme right in the bottom and selecting the contacts you want to send snap to.
Similarly you can view your snaps by clicking on the notification button in the Home screen and you will get the list of all the unread snaps and snapbacks.
Generally the snaps that we sent get automatically deleted but recipient can store them using screenshot or any other technique and if Snapchat recognize any such action it does notify you.
Users with replay service can view the snap multiple times in 24 hrs. Same goes with the snaps in My Story. Even Snaps are almost ephemeral in nature, still Snapchat suggests you to, not send messages that you do not want others to save or share. Children under the age of 13 are allowed to use Snapkidz only. While signing up, if the user enters his age below 13, they will be moved to the Snapkidz version.
FAQ’s in Snapchat
Does Snapchat app supports all Smartphone devices because I tried to install it in Micromax A87 with Android version 4.2 and it got installed but it’s not allowing me to sign up for Snapchat. It says that update the latest version and when I tried to update it no latest version is showing?
Nothing about the compatibility of Snapchat with devices is mentioned on the App Store. I was unable to find the same on their website also. All I could find was that Snapchat is not compatible with Windows OS.
How can a user add his/her friends contact on Snapchat?
- Open Snapchat.
- Click on Snapchat ghost looking icon placed in the centre on the top.
- Click on Add friends.
- You will get two options to add: Through Address Book or via Username.
- If you select address book, all you have to do is to click on the Plus (+) checkbox then choose between hangout and message, then, your friends will get an invite to use Snapchat. Else you can also search by typing the username.
How can a user view Media that he/she received and for how long?
Using Snapchat you can view the media by clicking on the Notification icon. Don’t forget to keep pressing to view the snap else it will automatically get destroyed. Using the replay service, any user can view the last snap any no. of times within 24 hrs. If the media file is sent using personal chat then you can save it by tapping on it and it will be saved within conversation only. To start using Replays service, swipe down from main screen, choose settings and select manage under additional services and now you can switch on replay by clicking on it.
Can a user send any other image which is saved in phone gallery?
A user can also send images saved in the gallery by engaging in personal chat with the friend. To start personal chat, user needs to swipe finger from left to right. Across name of the contact and personal chat will be on. Then user need to click on the yellow button in bottom right corner which will open window where user can choose photos or videos from the gallery by clicking on the square button in bottom right corner again.
So, this was all about using Snapchat on your Smartphone. I hope that you liked this article. If you found this article useful, then please share this article with your friends and happy snap chatting.