With a base of more than 750 million active users, WhatsApp is one of the best messaging app available to almost all mobile platforms. This includes android, iOS, Java, Nokia and Blackberry. With an active internet connection you can do a bunch of things like sending unlimited messages, videos, images to anyone. Other than having users on all the mobile platforms, WhatsApp has just launched its web-based client on 24-01-2015 which basically syncs your messages from you mobile to your PC using their servers.
Our web client is simply an extension of your phone: the web browser mirrors conversations and messages from your mobile device — this means all of your messages still live on your phone. WhatsApp announced this on their blog.
How to Use WhatsApp Web?
WhatsApp web client is easy to use, but it requires few things all the time. I mean while you use WhatsApp on your PC.
- In the official announcement, WhatsApp said that it will only work on Google Chrome but I have tested the web client on Opera and it worked smoothly. Also, I believe that all the browsers based on Chromium will work. Opera is also based on chromium that’s why it worked.
- If you have not updated your WhatsApp, then you need to update it, as this feature works with latest version of the app, you can easily update your app using Google Play Store. All you need to do is search for Whatsapp in play store and click on it.
- You will need your mobile phone connected to internet all the times while you use WhatsApp web on your PC.
- iOS user cannot use Whatsapp web because iOS restricts background multitasking.
If you’ve got all the things ready, then read below:-
- As of now, Mozilla Firefox doesn’t work with WhatsApp Web Client. I hope it may work soon. Open any Chromium based browsers, it can be Opera, Google Chrome or Torch. Go to web.whatsApp.com
- Once you have updated to the latest version of Whatsapp (using Play store), you have to click on the Menu and choose Whatsapp Web.
- After clicking, you will notice that you camera has started. Now, you just have to capture the whole QR Code in the camera.
Once you do it. You will be automatically be logged in your account on the web client.
Is it secure to use Web Client?
Yes, it is. The WhatsApp web depends on your phone to get the messages. Also, you can always see which browsers are still connected to your mobile phone in the Menu>>WhatsApp Web. You can logout anytime using your WhatsApp. If you use shared computer, then you must uncheck the “Keep me signed in” button so that once you close your browser it automatically log out from your account but if you leave this checked, then anyone can use your WhatsApp using the shared PC. I believe that the security is good enough and it can be controlled using your WhatsApp on your phone.
Advantages/Disadvantages of WhatsApp Web
- You can type really fast using your keyboard as compared to the mobile phone touch screen.
- You can directly download the files to your PC that you received in your Whatsapp from your friends.
- You can remotely logout from any browser.
- In order to use WhatsApp Web, you have to keep your mobile phone connected to Internet all the time while you use the web client. If you want to learn about whatsApp on the web through a video watch this.
Do let us know in the comments,How are you finding whatsapp web.