Are you looking at exploring the importance of social bookmarking in SEO? Or You think it is important for your traffic, but want to know which social bookmarking sites you should target for your business or Blog.
There are mixed opinions among SEO’s on this subject. Perhaps the reason why you are reading this article is to have a more clear perspective on Social bookmarking as on Off page SEO strategy.
Here is a quick intro – Social bookmarking allows the users to save the content on web for future reference. In more simple terms, If I like an article on a news portal and want to bookmark it, I will prefer to do so on social bookmarking site rather doing the same on my personal computer. It will allow me to access that link from any device that has a internet connection. Some of the popular social bookmarking sites are Delicious, stumbleupon, Reditt ,Digg etc.
I hate long descriptions but for a clear perspective on Importance of Social bookmarking in SEO, It is required that we should know, SEO means different things to different people.
If SEO means – Complete focus on ranking and you are looking at using Social bookmarking for ranking ( as a Off page activity only ), then it will not work and in fact do more damage than Good.
If SEO means – Online presence to increase content visibility among targeted users then surely you have content marketing as big piece. As part of content marketing strategy you will have things like – social media, social bookmarking, Google Pay per click etc.
With changing algorithm of Search Engines like Google in favor of high quality content, it becomes immensely important to have your content marketing strategy in place. Keeping the focus straight let me now share my views on How to use Social bookmarking for SEO?
To make the task of identifying high PR social bookmarking sites easier, you can click here and check the list.
Example-How to do social bookmarking. For the purpose of this example, I am taking ‘Delicious’ – King of Social bookmarking.
- Step1– Create a login by your personal name if you don’t have one ( sign up and create) and then sign in.
- Step2 – Click on add a link button & paste the url that you want to bookmark and then click on Add Link.
- Step 3 – Add the URL that you want to bookmark.
- Step 4– Enter Title, Tags and comment (1000 character count), I will talk about what to write in title, tags and comment below as part of strategy.
- Step 5 – Save link and you are done.
Strategy for doing social bookmarking for SEO
We are referring to social bookmarking as part of content marketing which is an off page activity, that leads to indirect benefit in SEO.
I recommend that you should use the following strategy for best results.
- Number of bookmarkings – Go for max 3-5 social bookmarking in a day from one user id, higher number may be considered as spam.
- Consider PR – Go for sites which have PR (page rank) greater than 2.
- Consider follow/no follow – Some sites allow for Do follow link and some sites allow for no follow link. Go for a mix of sites in ratio like 60% no follow and 40% do follow. You can check the same by reading an existing article on a particular social bookmarking site and checking their link status. Tools like SEO quake make this task easy.
- Title – Use variations in title. Don’t do copy & paste activity. Examples of variations that I can use for my primary key word – ‘how to use social bookmarking for SEO’ are
- Tips to use social bookmarking for SEO
- Successful techniques for using social bookmarking for SEO
- Off page SEO technique for social bookmarking
- How to get SEO success in social bookmarking
- 5 Ways to use social bookmarking for SEO.
Some of these may be your primary and secondary key words; you should rotate them and make a working plan sheet for the same in advance.
- Tags – Social bookmarking sites reply heavily on tags for showing search results to its users. If you don’t tag your content right, then your prospect will never be able to find it. Most of the sites suggest the tags from the content but you must check it before going ahead.
Tags should be one word without space or if there are two words then put a dash in between like seo-checklist. If you have already used your primary key word in title then use tags for secondary key word.
- Comment /Description – Each site has its own limit set for comments/description. Delicious provides space for 1000 characters. Make use of this to write unique description about the content that you are bookmaking. Title and description help the user understand what the content is about. This space is not meant for keywords and Inserting anchor text in the comment box will invite penguin penalty.
- Contribute – If you just visit a social bookmarking site to bookmark and go away then it will not be beneficial at all. To be part of community you should share good content and actively participate in the network.
Active participation earns you natural back links while an exercise only for link building is considered spam. Ask questions and answer on topics where you have depth of knowledge, let people appreciate your comments.
Caution – For some reason if your bounce rate is already on higher side (50% or above), then don’t use social bookmarking as chances are that it will further increase the bounce rate
Tip – Search for similar topics which are social bookmarked, find out the links that have been saved by maximum number of users, make relationship with them these users. This will help you reach out to the relevant audience.
Be careful about the tags and description so that you don’t reach out to the wrong audience and invite 100% bounce rate.
Social bookmarking provides us with the opportunity to show case our content to users. Did you notice when you were adding link on Delicious it had social media share icons below the comment box. A good content which is liked by users has higher chances of getting shared on social network through such sites.
Social bookmarking sites catching attention
There are popular sites like Digg, Stumbleupon, Delicious, Reddit etc which have a huge active user base and certain sites are catching attention because of their unique features. Some of such sites for quick reference are given below. PR and alexa is as of 2nd July 2014.
- Storify – Outgoing links are Do follow, beauty of using it lies in its capability to track events from any social network. Alexa – 4884 and PR-8. Categories in which Storify operates are News, Universities, conferences, Government, NGO’s & Brands.
- Bizsugar – Popular among bloggers, a good source for quality traffic. They accept social bookmarking for websites that are about business marketing, bloggers or entrepreneurship. They are strict on acceptance of high quality content with original description. Alexa – 7335, PR-5.
- Triberr –It does not work like a typical social bookmarking site, on the concept of tagging. It helps you to join relevant and niche Tribe. Alexa – 3973, PR-5.
- Scoop.it – It’s a great site for content curation, not new site actually, popular among bloggers. Alexa – 662, PR-7.
- Faviki – It works on lines of Wikipedia, use common tags, which make it easier to find search results. You can also find your tag from Wikipedia or search the whole webs space for your tag. Alexa – 49282, PR-5
- Pinterest – It remains as the fastest growing social bookmarking site. It works for images and videos. I have experienced great traffic from Pinterest. In my experience traffic coming from Pinterest has the potential to spend maximum time on blog or web page as compared to other referral networks.
You may want to explore the above sites as well as part of your content marketing strategy.
Analytics – It is important that you track the referral traffic to check the hygiene in terms of time spent by user and number of page views. You can check the same in Google analytics by going to Acquisition< social
I look forward to hear your experiences on this subject through a comment below. Also if you have liked the content, Do share it on your social network.