Pinterest, the visual content discovery and sharing social network has always been one of the top referrers of traffic to sites that use it wisely. You can use Pinterest to make users pin content from your website to their pinboard thus making your content visible to over 1/5th of American women who use Pinterest happily.
Moreover, Pinterest was the second largest referrer of traffic to sites in Q3 of 2014. It makes no sense to ignore this widely used social network which has over 70 million users constantly craving for content to be delivered to them.
What are Pinterest group boards and how is it different from normal Pin boards?
Pinterest as we know allows us to pin images on boards that we create. In recent changes made you can invite other users, preferably related to your niche to pin images on your selected boards and vice versa. Now this means more than one user are pinning to a single board. Hence the name Pinterest group board. What Pinterest does extra with group boards is a lot of users can view your content and be your follower. Imagine, TechCrunch or Mashable, they wouldn’t be this large had they been written by a single person. Similarly, using the group pinboards, you can make your content visible to an audience beyond your reach.
Advantages of group pinboards in driving traffic to your blog
- Group pinboards are the most used by bloggers within a niche. You can thus collaborate with other bloggers to drive traffic to your blog, that too for free.
- Through Pinterest group boards you get a chance to reach the audience of your fellow bloggers which would broaden your blog’s reach.
- Your group board now has content from more users that means more variety which in turn guarantees your board to be visible to more users who still aren’t your followers.
- Most sharing would be done by all the members together so you get to save your time thus utilizing it to do something else.
How to create Pinterest group boards to drive insane traffic to your blog?
Now that you are convinced that Pinterest group boards drive more traffic than single user boards, let me show you how to do that.
- Create a board named on keyword you want your board to appear when people search for it. While filling in the group details you can add or invite members to pin on it by entering their email or username on the “who can add pins to it” tab.
- You can invite users to pin on your existing pin boards by clicking on a board on your profile. When the board opens up you can see an invite a member by using the button provided on the extreme left of the top tab.
- You can further join group boards of your fellow bloggers and pin content to it. I joined a pinning board from a social media tips sharing site and my follower count increased from 5-7 to 50 in only a week’s time. Not to forget more followers = more eye balls on your content.
- If you don’t know someone who has a group board you can join, I suggest you to use Pingroupie to find boards based on keywords.
Are you still in doubt? Here are some more tips to help you get started:
- Follow the administrator:
Once you have found a group board, the first image on the top bar will take you to the Pinterest group board’s admin’s profile page. You need to follow them else they cannot invite you to their group.
- Use your registered email address:
Once you have built up relations with the admin you can assume he will approve your request and then send him a request to allow you as a contributor to his group board. Use the email address you used to sign up for Pinterest. Other email won’t work.
- Respond to invitations:
Once you have been approved for joining, it’s likely that the admin will invite you. Check your invitations on the notifications center on the right-end of the top most margin. You will now have to accept it and start pinning.
- Make sure you Pin with all honesty.
Don’t use Pinterest group boards to spam your site’s images. Use it to share valuable stuff from all over the internet.
If any spammy link is found in your pinned stuff, it’s you who will be banned so pin responsibly.
How to use Pinterest group boards to strategically drive more visitors to your blog?
Now that you have joined Pinterest group boards you can start your strategies to get more from them. Here are some simple tricks that will help you drive traffic to your blog even if you have 4 followers on your personal profile.
1) Pin relevant content:
When you are first starting to contribute to group boards try to pin content that is relevant to the niche and adds value to the board. You don’t need to hop websites to find relevant content, you can just repin what others have pinned outside that board.
2) Add your pins to the group boards:
While adding relevant content do add up your posts (again remember they have to be related). This way you are placing a post of yours on a board that has over 1000s of flowers and most are active. So if 10% of them also actually visit your blog you will have about 100 visitors at any given day. Amazing!
3) Pin images that are long and in portrait format.
Pins that are longer vertically are shared the most (source). So try to include at least more of the longer image in your group board. Also include longer images on your blog post too.
4) Infographics tend to do so well:
Infographics have a huge fan following and in a network that counts on visual sharing infographics are always sold as hot cakes. Try pinning and repining infographics to group boards. You can do it on single user boards too but my point is why to waste time catering few followers when you have the opportunity to present yourself as an authority amongst thousands of followers.
5) Be consistent in your contribution:
If you are a blogger or an online entrepreneur which I guess you are, you have a great understanding of consistency. On Pinterest also you need to be consistent on your efforts. Pin regularly. It takes five minutes for you to add 30-40 pins to any boards. I am not exaggerating but you can do that from the very first day. That’s why Pinterest has over 80% of the pins as repins.
If you can’t waste your resources on publishing pins for your followers of every time zone you have Pinterest tools that you can use to schedule your pins to be pinned at a later time/date.
I suggest you to use viralwoot, to schedule your pins because it gives a free 100 schedules which is enough when you are just starting. As you grow pinning you can opt for their paid plans.
6) Use Pinterest group boards to research your future posts:
When you are within an audience that is in hundreds or thousands, you can track their routine to make a trend. These trends or activities of the pinners can be used to come up with blog posts ideas and new research papers.
By trends, I mean you can study what pins are getting more virality, which pin is not at all receiving attention etc., and then you can compile them and come up with a post that caters to the audience.
This way when you pin your new post more people will like it and you get more visitors to your blog. My pin on “how to double your Pinterest followers” got an average of 600 impressions with a group board that has only 350 members and 30 fellow contributors. Imagine what will be the response when a pin is pinned to a board that has over 50K followers.
Certain tips in a rapid fire style:
- If you are an owner of a group board make sure no crap is pinned in it. Just ban the user who posts only self-promotional pins.
- Try to pin atleast 40 pins a day. For faster pinning just search the pins on a specific topic and repin the relevant ones to the group bard.
- Use Pinterest analytics which is like Google analytics that gives you an insight on which pins of yours got more impressions, your profile views etc.
- Use Pinterest messaging to build relationships with fellow bloggers which is crucial if you want to increase your reach.
- Use Pinterest plugins or widgets to your WordPress blogs (you can also include widgets for group boards too) to allow your visitors know that you have such an account and they can follow you there.
- Use WordPress “pin it” to allow users pin images from your blog. You can use shareaholic social plugin to get benefits of other social sharing buttons too.
- If you want a list of tools for starting up your Pinterest journey read this article.
Over to you,
So, these were the general tips and tricks to utilize Pinterest group boards to drive traffic to your blog. You can use these tips from this very moment to gain visibility to over 1000s of potential pinners who are always in wait for great content with fantastic visuals. I am sure you can get awesome results from these tips. If you have any query or any strategies which I missed please feel free to comment on the below section and share your tips.