Are you tired of holding and latching on to your Macbook pro whenever you want to connect to the internet or do some work in the computer files? How about using the HDMI and connecting the Macbook to the TV screen and enjoy the large display from the comfort of your bed or sofa? All you need is a wireless keyboard compatible with the Macbook pro. The Macbook can lie with the lid closed on the table while you work on the wireless keyboard and watch the display on the TV screen.
You will find 5 select wireless keyboards for your Mac with a number of features. You can make your selection based on your requirement. The choice comes from the most reputed brands to relatively less known ones. The price band gives you a choice to select from the cheaper varieties to the expensive ones.
1. Apple MC184LL/B
The Apple keyboard works on the Bluetooth technology to connect your Macbook pro to the keyboard. As compared to conventional keyboards it saves you around 24% space. Thus you get some extra space to keep the mouse and move it freely. The wireless keyboard is available in silver color that stems from its anodized aluminum body. The Apple keyboard is designed to work with Bluetooth enabled Macbook pro with OS v10.6.8 or later.
The keyboard is exactly similar to the Macbook pro keyboard. So you get to use a good premium product with excellent quality and design. It does not give you the qualms of using a cheap plastic imitation model that does not go with your Apple device.
- The Apple MC184LL/B wireless keyboard is powered by two AA batteries. It is an improvement over the previous model which made use of 3 batteries.The intelligent power management system ensures that the battery is conserved. The keyboard powers down when not in use and switches on when you press any key. There is a switch provided to power off the keyboard when not in use for long periods.
- The keyboard works just fine within a 30 feet radius of the Macbook pro. That provides you with ample leeway to move and operate freely.
- The keys are crisp and responsive. You can use the one touch keys to access the host of Macbook pro features like volume, brightness, eject, play, and Dashboard.The numeric keypad is not there but that is a tradeoff for the small size. The slight angle of the keyboard makes it convenient to use. Also the rubberized feel surface of the battery compartment prevents the keyboard from sliding on the desk or any other smooth surface.
- Pairing with the Macbook pro is very easy. You have to just switch on the keyboard and turn on the Bluetooth settings on your Mac. Just click on the dialogue boxes and key in your 4 digit code to connect. Since both are Apple devices the connection is smooth and quick. You can check out my video on how to connect Bluetooth device with Macbook pro.
Buying an Apple keyboard means that you are going in for the well-known brand. You can expect the keyboard to be a bit heavy on the price tag. However, the quality, aesthetics and functionality of the product justifies its price tag. If the customer feedback is given weightage they were expecting at least a LED backlit keyboard at this price.
2. Perixx PERIDUO-710W
The keyboard uses the wireless 2.4G technology and comes to you with as a keyboard and mouse combo set. The device is suitable for Mac OS without the feature of Windows and Apple hot keys. That means that the keys labeled for Windows like the art key, windows key and the control keys don’t work the same way as on the Mac. Otherwise it works great and people have been using it with the MacBook pro for few years.
The keyboard comes with an inherent numeric keypad. It is a very useful for the people who are into accounting and data entry. The numeric keypad offers the convenience of punching numeric data at a fast pace.
- The advantage of the built in Numeric keypad in a compact size of 15.32” X 5.59” X 0.98” makes you feel comfortable at work. The ultra slim piano finish keyboard comes with a stylish Chiclet key design and seven multimedia hot keys.
- The Chiclet keys have an advantage that they do not stick and you can keep on typing without any worries.
- The keyboard has a few key positions interchanged, like the Command and Alt button. However, one can get used to these minor changes in the few minutes of operation. All the top row keys like dashboard, brightness, volume, play/pause etc. are compatible with the Macbook pro.
- The keyboard runs on 4 AAA batteries and the offer is available with the brand batteries included. As per the user feedback the batteries last for almost a year.
- The product comes bundled with a 1000 dpi wireless optical mouse. The mouse is a conventional type with both the left and right clicks. The scroll wheel is in the middle which makes it convenient to use. You have just to plug in the USB dongle and the mouse just works fine. Simultaneously the keyboard can be paired easily with the Macbook pro through a couple of quick prompts as the computer identifies the keyboard. The USB dongle is small in size and it is all you need to connect both devices to the Macbook pro.
- The keyboard comes with drivers on the CD and an instruction booklet. The pairing on the Macbook pro does not require the CD which is probably meant for windows machines. The users have found the device very convenient to use and the instructions helpful.
You can plug the Macbook pro to the TV HDMI to avail the large screen display and use the keyboard and mouse while sitting comfortably in any corner of the room.
3. HDE Minii Aluminum
The HDE Minii Aluminum Bluetooth 3.0 wireless multimedia keyboard just works fine with the Mac and is available in two color choices of black and silver. It is a mini keyboard as the numeric keypad is a tradeoff to give the reduction in size.
- It is an inexpensive small Bluetooth keyboard. You can connect your Macbook to the big screen TV and control it from anywhere in the room. It connects to the Macbook pro like a charm and even wakes it up from sleep even with the lid closed.
- The keyboard comes with QWERTY layout keys and a tilted design to reduce the strain on your wrists. The keys are comfortable on your finger tips and function without making a noise. Take note that there is no escape key for the Macbook.
- The sleek design of the keyboard with a thickness of just 0.23”, allows you to carry it easily in your backpack, messenger bag or case.
- The two AAA batteries (not included) can give you up to 700 hours of continuous use battery life. The automatic sleep mode ensures that the battery life is conserved. It would almost be half a year before you will need to change the batteries.The LED indicator also comes on briefly as you switch on the keyboard and then goes off to conserve the battery.
- The option of using the keyboard as wireless or through a cable connection is enabled due to the Bluetooth technology. The wireless connectivity is easy to set up and makes the device available instantaneously. For the first pairing with your Macbook pro, you will have to switch on the keyboard and locate it on your Bluetooth devices screen.
- The connect button on the back of the keyboard is to be depressed and it will appear on your screen when it is paired. You can then connect it to the Macbook by following the onscreen instructions and start using the keyboard. Subsequent connections are quick and easy.
Some of the users have tried it with iOS 7 with limited connectivity where the caps lock indicator light, search and photo view mode hot keys are affected. The full functionality is recommended by the manufacturer for Mac OS 10.2.8 or above.
4. Susan’s Bluetooth keyboard
If you are looking for a wireless Bluetooth keyboard for your Macbook Pro, the Susan’s device fits the requirement. You will find that the device functionality to be extremely good. The keyboard is made of plastic and those particular about the aesthetics may take a closer look. However the users concerned with the performance will be satisfied with the device as value for money.
The keyboard works on 2 AA batteries. They give you 700 hours of continuous use battery life. The battery conservation is adequately taken care of by the automatic sleep mode making the battery change requirement to occur after half a year. The batteries are not included.
- The keyboard has a QWERTY layout with the full set of numeric keys. It is very useful for the accounts professionals and for large amounts of data entry. When you are using the functions on an iOS you need not press the “fn” key. The escape key function is not there for the Macbook. The keys are super quiet and comfortable for your fingers tips and have no issues on sticking.
- The Bluetooth 3.0 technology gives the keyboard an edge. You can work cable free and without any disruptions from a distance of 10 meters from your Macbook. It normally does not disconnect, but if it does a gentle tap on the keyboard fixes it right away.
- Setting up the keyboard on your Macbook pro is a breeze. The installation is quick and easy. A user preferred using the Susan’s Bluetooth keyboard, instead of getting his defective Macbook keyboard repaired or replaced.
The keyboard is recommended for Macbook Pro with Mac OS 10.2.8 or above. You will get limited compatibility with iOS 7.0.3 affecting the photo view mode or the F4 key.
5. Logitech K750 Solar
The K750 is a remarkable piece of equipment from the Logitech stable. It comes to you with an Apple-like attention to detail and it starts from the recycled cardboard packaging, which is easy to open and with minimum printing. The keyboard is thin, light and beautiful and easy to work on. It is available in two color choices of silver and black.
The Logitech K750 wireless keyboard is solar powered. There is no hassle of batteries and their replacement. All that is required is a light source to charge the keyboard. Once charged up, the keyboard works fine in darkness also.There is a dedicated solar button on the keyboard which you can press to see if you have a decent charge and if you are getting enough light. Once you download the Logitech solar app on the Mac you can see the status of the solar batteries on the screen and how many lumens the keyboard is getting.
- The device is ultrathin with the thickness at 1/3.” The sleek style adds the classy factor to your work place. The typing is faster, quieter and comfortable. The Logitech concave key cap design is behind the feel-good typing. The keyboard has a familiar Mac layout with all the keys that you are used to and in the same position. In addition there is a Launchpad hot key. The numeric keys are all present in the keyboard as a standard. If you want the keyboard at an angle you can open out the two legs.
- The wireless keyboard comes along with a tiny Logitech unifying receiver which connects via USB to your Macbook pro. It is so small that it projects out only a few millimeters. This receiver will help you to connect up to six additional Logitech wireless devices. For example the Logitech wireless mouse will work on the same receiver.
- The keyboard responds well and controls the Macbook pro even if you are at the other corner of the room.
The Logitech keyboard does use up one of the USB ports of the Macbook pro for connectivity. It is wireless, but uses a unifying receiver dongle in the USB as compared to no such requirement for a Bluetooth device. Some of the users are particularly concerned about their USB ports and would like the Bluetooth alternative.
The die-hard fans of Apple can simply go with the MC184LL/B wireless keyboard. You will feel as if you have removed the keyboard from the Macbook pro and using it from a convenient location. A marked improvement from the previous model is the reduction in the batteries from three to two.
To do away with the trouble of replacing the batteries you can select the Logitech K750 Solar. It picks up the charge even in dim light and allows you to interact freely with the Mac. Logitech has been a key player in the market and you can expect a good quality performance. There is only a small drawback that the unifying receiver dongle occupies one USB port on the Macbook pro.
Those of you who are particular about a separate numeric key pad on the keyboard will have to make a choice from The Logitech K750 solar, Susan’s Bluetooth and Perixx Periduo-710W. The Perixxkeyboard comes bundled with a free 1000dpi wireless mouse. The 4 AAA batteries for the keyboard are included in the offer but keep in mind the replacement costs after 6 months.
The Susan’s Bluetooth keyboard and the HDE Minii Aluminum are the inexpensive options. If you are mainly concerned with the functionality and not so much with the aesthetics, they will prove to be a good choice. They offer you good battery life with just 2AA batteries to power them.
The Apple, Susan’s and HDE keyboards are Bluetooth enabled while the other two work on the wireless dongle receivers.