In today’s world everyone wants to get rid of the paper clutter in the office, in the drawers, and files. Many of these documents are important like the payment receipts, account statements etc. Keeping them filed neatly requires time and also a lot of space. However with the scanners now available in abundance for your PC you can easily scan your documents and store the soft copies in digital filing systems that come bundled with the software.
You also need not sit and scan each document and photograph. It is possible to do 15 business cards, or say 50 sheets of paper at one go if your machine has the automatic document feeder mechanism. The software available are so versatile that it can make the PDF of your scanned document and place it at your targeted destination via cloud sharing.
We bring you here the five best scanners for PC. Read through to select the one that meets your requirement perfectly.
1. Fujitsu ScanSnap
The Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 scanner for PC comes with a built –in dual core “GI” image processing engine that is responsible for its high performance.The popular workhorse scanner comes to you with a host of features that make scanning easy and useful. Besides it, the scanner allows for a direct interaction with your cloud services through the PC. Thus you can access your documents from any device at any time and from anywhere. The ScanSnap supports direct scanning to Evernote, Dropbox, Google Docs, Salesforce, and SugarSync.
The ScanScap carrier sheets allow the users to digitize A3 and B4 size documents, magazine, photographs and newspaper clippings. Such documents containing carrier sheets can be scanned successively or even mixed with regular paper documents. The digitization ensures a good quality image reproduction by scanning.
- The Fujitsu iX500 gives you two sided scanning. It also has automated settings that allow you scan effortlessly.
- The speed of scanning is 25ppm in color. The paper feeding performance matches that of expensive high speed, high volume devices, thus making the Fujitsu ScanScap scanner offer value for money.
- The scanner comes with a specific driver for Windows. It does not support the document management software like Twain/ISIS. You can scan your daily need documents, business cards and information sheets. Once scanned, it is easy to send the data to your PC. It can also scan large volumes of business cards into digital business card holders. The Fujitsu iX500 gives you the flexibility to enter scanned data into Excel, outlook express, and other databases for future use.
- The scanner can be connected via the USB 3.0 port or through Wi-Fi. It gives you the choice of placing it anywhere in the room without the interconnecting wires to your PC. You can operate the scanner via the ScanSnap Connect App to create high quality scanned images.
- By clicking on the tray icon you can access the scan settings like resolution, brightness, save directory, PDF or Jpg file, blank page removal, OCR, and compression. The software allows you to have a quick preview of the document as it is scanned and also warns you of the scan problems like multi-feed, and jamming etc. The ScanSnap organizer software allows you to see each of the scanned documents as thumbnails. You can move through without actually opening them. You can easily organize your scans into the file folder available on the screen.
- The scanner gives you the best optical color resolution of 600 dpi. You can run the machine on an optimal setting of color 200dpi and B & W at 400 dpi for good results on document scanning. It does scan the photographs, but the reproduction is not up to the mark because of the low resolution.
It is possible to generate editable PDF files with the Fujitsu iX500 scanner as it comes preloaded with Adobe Acrobat X standard for Windows only. If you need protection for personal information you can use the password generated by the machine and also digitally attach PDF files. The scanner also has a quick menu which can be set to display your favorite scanning destinations. Thus, you can see the scanner along with the proprietary software which is versatile and can perform multiple tasks linked to scanning and documentation.
2. Epson WorkForce DS560
The Epson DS-560 is the next generation scanner for your PC and meant for the fast paced businessmen and the home users. It can also serve a small work group within a large organization very effectively. By installing the included software on your PC you can scan and send the data to your smartphone or tablet through the cloud.
It is a compact scanner with 50 pages Auto Document Feeder. With multiple features like dynamic skew correction, auto paper size detection, double feed detection and multi-roller paper feed you can tackle a number of tasks without any downtime. The scanner detects the staples and mis-feeds and stops. Removal and restart are very easy. The scanner is able to accommodate oversized folded pages, single sheets, stacks of business cards and rigid ID cards.
- The Epson DS-560 scanner is capable of scanning both the sides in just one pass
- The scanning speed is 26 ppm, that is comparable to some of the top high speed models.
- The WorkForce 560 can be connected to document management software and supports TWAIN and ISIS drivers. The ISIS driver can be downloaded from the internet.
- The color document scanner can be connected wirelessly to your PC. It allows for both Wi-Fi and USB2.0 connectivity.
- The scanner comes with a number of color and image adjustments like the variable color enhance and color dropout etc. The color enhance allows the user to select a color from the RGB color channels when scanning in Black & white.
- This can bring out items like a signature in a light blue color clearly in the B & W scan. Similarly the drop out allows you get rid of the background pink color in a cheque and bring out the black crisp text. It is also possible to create searchable PDFs using the scanner
- Because of the compact design it is possible to accommodate the DS-510 in small available space.
- The image quality is good at the optimum setting at 300 dpi. However for good quality scans you can go up to 600 dpi. The blank page detection and de-skew functions are quite useful for managing your scans.
The Epson comes perfectly packaged with a set of clear instructions. Taking the scanner out of the packing box and installing will hardly take 15 minutes. The DS-560 has a solid build and feels like a very reliable piece of equipment. It can easily take a small amount of abuse that a small workgroup will throw at it. It is a good document intensive scanner.
3. NeatDesk Desktop Scanner
The NeatDesk Scanner is an effective tool for de-cluttering your desk and drawer. You can scan the important documents and store them in the Neat digital filing system which is a part and parcel of the scanning equipment.
NeatDesk reads and extracts the information from whatever document you scan and creates digital content. You can easily create tax or expense reports with receipt data or export it to Excel, Quicken or TurboTax. The scanner comes bundled with a 30 day free trial of NeatCloud and you can synchronize and back up Neat files and access them from anywhere.
- The NeatDesk scanner works at speeds of 24 ppm. You can scan your 15 receipts, 15 business cards and 15 documents at a time or a 50 page document at one go. You can scan three paper types on both sides with one push of a button.
- You can easily transform business cards into address book contacts by using the scanner. You can organize your Rolodex digitally by creating digital images of cards and contact information with NeatDesk. The software captures name, address, title, and more information to create your own searchable contact data base. It allows you to export it to Outlook express and other contact software.
- NeatDesk also allows you to create searchable PDF files from any document. You can edit the text using copy/paste commands and store the document in a digital filing cabinet within the software.
- The NeatDesk scanner works with the USB connectivity to your PC. It has an inbuilt Auto document feeder (ADF). The product packing includes a USB cable, Neat software installation CD, protective pouch, scanner calibration paper, scanner cleaning cloth, quick start guide, and power supply.
- The scanner is designed for the 8.5” X 11” legal size paper. It is not recommended for scanning of photographs. The resolution of around 400 dpi is good only for document scanning.
If you are a NeatCloud customer you get NeatCare which is the premium support and accidental damage protection for your NeatDesk. The scanner allows you to combine several pages into one document. You just need to click on the different pages while holding down the control key. Click combine and you have the several pages in one document. As per the user feedback there is a function to scan all documents into one PDF with the latest version of the Neat software.
4. Canon CanoScan LiDE210
The generation green feature of the Canon 4508B002 CanoScan LiDE210 scanner is that it saves on power. It connects to your PC with just one USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable which takes care of both data and power. It also allows you to quickly review the scan on your PC.
The Auto Scan mode and Automatic document fix are the specialty features of the scanner. Auto Scan mode automatically adjusts settings by detecting what you are scanning, whether it is a photograph, document, business card, or a notebook.The original image is cropped to the proper size scanned and saved in the appropriate file format. All this is possible by pressing a single button.
If you carefully place a bunch of pictures on the glass and carefully separate them the scanner recognizes them as separate pictures and saves them as separate pictures. The Auto document fix manages the image analysis and area by area correction. Thus it allows you to darken your text with pronounced edges for a strikingly clear view while the pictures maintain the color tone and contrast. This gives you excellent quality and easy to view scans.
- The Canon 4508B002 performs high speed letter scanning, just taking about 10 seconds in the operation.
- The scanner comes with an advanced Z-lid expansion top to take care of scanning bulky items. The lid extends up and over the platen to make the scanning from notebooks, textbooks, and other thick documents look easy.
- The CanoScan gives a maximum resolution of 4800 dpi X 4800 DPI optical with a vivid 48 bit color depth and over 281 trillion color possibilities. This means that you get excellent scanning quality for both your photos and documents.
- By using the five EZ buttons you can scan, copy, email, or create a PDF at good speeds. With the three scanning positions – upright, portrait, and landscape, it is possible for you to easily accommodate the scanner in the working area.
- The scanning area is good for 8.5” X 11” scans. It is actually set for letter size paper. For larger size paper you will have to do 2 or more scans and then put them together using Photoshop.
The CanoScan is a flatbed scanner (with an uncanny upright scanning capability also) for high resolution scanning. It is specially meant for photographs and very high quality document scanning. It is not a workhorse as it takes up one scan at a time with the focus on the image clarity and reproduction. It suits the people who can spend the time on scanning and also care for exceptional quality.
5. Brother ImageCenter ADS-2000
The Brother ImageCenter ADS-2000 High speed Document scanner is an ideal selection for the home and small offices. It is a versatile scanner with a host of features and is available in black color. For the naïve customers it is one touch button type of scanning performer. As soon as your document feeder is empty it converts the scan into a PDF and drops it into the selected destination.
The ControlCentre4 software gives you the choice of running in the “Home mode” or “Advanced mode.” In the home mode you have the choice of Photo, text and graphics, monochrome text, and custom.
In custom selection you can further change the resolution, color, and select single or double side scanning. The advanced mode allows you access to image, OCR, Email, and File destinations. When you right click on the choice you can change the setting and program it as per your requirement. The software is very helpful for jobs like scanning 4 X 6 photographs into Jpegs.
- The ADS-2000 scans with a speed up to 24 PPM. It is possible to scan in B & W and also in color. The scanner is capable for both sides scanning.
- It gives you a resolution of 600dpi X 600 dpi (optical).
- The Brother ImageCenter supports the industry standard driver formats like TWAIN, WIA, ICA, and ISIS.
- The Brother scanner gives you the flexibility for an automatic 50 page auto document feed by using the ADF. You can scan a variety of documents including business cards, ID cards, photos and receipts upto 8.5” X 14” legal size paper. You can go in for a continuous scanning length of 34”
- The ImageCenter ADS-2000 is capable of multi-feed detection, background removal, blank page removal, and de-skew support. Due to the multi-feed detection it is ensured that you do not miss any data in the scan. When you are running both side scan the blank page removal is especially useful as it saves storage space and you do not have to edit the scanned documents.
- You can easily create the searchable PDF documents using the bundled PDF creator software. This robust software makes the ADS-2000 a powerful scanning cum converter package. You can also use the 2-in-1 mode to stitch together 2 images into one.
Some of the users had faced a problem of a black line on top of the scanned page when they used the scanner with Windows 8.1 on their PC. However they could resolve the problem with the ControlCenter4 Update tool available from the Brother website.
Four of the models namelyFutitsuScanSnap iX500, EpsonWorkForce DS-560, NeatDesk and Brother ImageCenter ADS-2000 can be categorized as 24-26 ppm high speed scanners with automatic document feeders and duplex scanning. All the four are good for image resolutions going to a maximum of 600 dpi. However, you can get good document reproductions at optimum settings of 200~400 dpi if the scanning speed is to be maintained.
The Cannon CanoScan LiDE210 model is a flatbed scanner with 10 second per operation scanning speed. It provides an exceptionally good 4800 dpi image resolution for photographs and critical documents.
The hallmark of the cannon scanner is that it detects what it is scanning. Even a bunch of photographs are separately recognized and cropped and stored as separate items. You can expect advanced features like image analysis and area wise correction for excellent reproductions.
The Fujitsu and Epson models offer you Wi-Fi connectivity besides the normal USB connection to your PC.
If you are looking for compatibility with industry standard formats like TWAIN, ISIS etc. your best bet is the Brother scanner followed by Epson.
NeatDesk is good for creating expense or tax reports and for organizing the business cards into address book. You can send it to outlook express etc.
In the NeatDesk and Fujitsu scans you have to sort from the thumbnails and organize into the data into the files within the software. Brother allows you to set the program to drop the PDFs into a predestined location. It is a kind of one button operation control.
The Epson WorkForce DS-560 model seems to find favor with the businessmen, while Brother ImageCenter ADS-2000 is the choice for homes and small offices. NeatDesk clicks well with the account savvy people. The popular and universal acceptability is with the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500. The niche clientele that has resolution quality in mind prefer the CannonCanoScan LiDE210. Which one have you finalized?