IM (Instant Messaging) apps – the heartbeats of today’s smartphones!
Who doesn’t use an instant messaging app? With the fast advent of smartphones, everyone has got a data connection, and with that, got their hands into IM apps, to get connected more conveniently.
One of the big hits among these is – Viber. It’s appealing, simple, convenient and has a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) feature which lets you call anyone else on Viber, using your 3G/Wi-Fi.
Dunno what is VOIP? See this excellent video here.
Besides, it allows you to message with stickers, create group chats and much more – just like the other IM apps. But the call feature and its unique design is what makes it attractive!
Viber boasts of over a million downloads and enjoys tremendous popularity. Chances are, that more than 50% of your contacts list can be of Viber.
In this article, you are going to see how you can set up, and use Viber on your Android device.
Before you begin….
Make sure that you meet the following requirements:
- Android phone (v2.3 and up) – the smartphone company doesn’t matter. Android is open source and a variety of companies manufacture devices running Android
- An active data connection
- Around 33 MB of free space, for the Viber app.
How to Download Viber
Get your Android phone, and visit this link. Google Play Store will open up, and that is from where you have to download Viber.
If you own an iPhone, get Viber from Apple iTunes Store.
Refer to the screenshot below:
Downloading Viber is pretty simple. Press the install button, and your phone will come up with the list of permissions the app needs. Read it if you like, and press the accept button. The download will then begin!
After downloading, Google Play will install your app. You can then open it.
In short, the procedure is same as for downloading any other app from Google Play.
How to configure Viber?
1. Open Viber and you will see the welcome message as shown below:
2. Press ‘Continue’ button. You will then be asked to enter your country and your phone number for mobile verification. Enter the same.
3. You will be sent a 4 digit code via SMS to the mobile number you just entered. Enter the code. Note that it takes upto a minute to get the code. So be patient.
4. You are now supposed to enter your name, and your profile picture (optional). In this step, you can choose to connect via Facebook if you don’t want to manually enter the details.
5. That’s it! Congratulations! You have now successfully entered the world of Viber. You will now see something like the below screen:
How to send your first message using Viber:
- Press the Compose button (Refer to the previous screenshot)
- Choose any contact from the list
- You will find something like the below screen. You can now compose your message:
Sending stickers on Viber
Sticker can be sent simply by pressing the bear button on the bottom left of your screen and choosing the sticker you like. You can head on to the sticker store to choose the sticker packs you want to use while chatting.
Press the “More Stickers” button (refer image above) to head over to the sticker store:
Viber Out can be used to call any mobile number, irrespective of its presence of Viber. It is a paid feature of Viber, and you need to buy credits before you can begin. It is a marvelous feature indeed, since calling to anyone is possible with it.
There is a new feature called the “Public chats” where you can receive updates from various personalities and celebrities you like.
There are many other minute features, such as dial pad for Viber Out calls, Viber Games section etc. etc. Such a big place is Viber to explore.
Disadvantages of Viber:
- My personal observation – Viber consumes a lot of battery and RAM, quite more than its competitors.
- Call quality, though really good, is still not the best. With 2G, the situation is extremely worse.
- The interface is a bit more complex than WhatsApp and some other competitors.
Viber is indeed one the best IM apps ever! With its call feature, it gives a tough competition to its rivals. The sticker feature is an valuable asset and have found overwhelming response. Group chats are inevitable. Viber Out is something new to try, which lets you call people not on Viber.
Compared to other IM services, it offers varied support for iOS 4.3 and Android 2.0, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry OS5, Symbian S40 and S60, Samsung’s long forgotten Bada OS.
Along with that, it also has a Desktop Client for Windows, Mac OS (10.7 and above) as well as Linux which makes Viber the most adaptable instant messaging Service compared to any other service.
With over 500 Million Registered Users, Viber is a free IM service you can’t miss to have.