It is easy to share a snapshot of our screen to a friend, rather than explaining what you are doing. A common usage lies in sharing the problems or errors you face with a program in windows. There are some tweaks that you can do to extensively improve your screenshots, thus I have created this post on how to take screenshots on windows 7 and easily edit them. You are free to use any image editor for editing your screenshots, however I feel using this method to be more comfortable and time-saving.
How to take a screenshot on windows 7?
The traditional method of taking a screenshot on windows 7 and other windows operating systems is by pressing the ‘print screen’ key and then pasting the image onto MS paint or any other editor.
In this post I will be using a screenshot program called Greenshot, which I use most of the time to capture and edit screenshots. The reason why I chose it is because it is totally free, open source and highly feature-rich.
Step by step guide on taking screenshots on windows 7 with Greenshot
- First-off you need to download Greenshot, if you haven’t yet. You can do that here. Once you have downloaded it, install it and open it up.
- You will notice a new icon on your taskbar. This means everything’s setup and it’s time for clicking.
- You can capture the entire screen by pressing the shortcut keys – “Ctrl + Print Screen”. Or you can click on the taskbar icon to get a list of options.
- You can see that the program allows you to perform an extensive number of actions including capturing a particular window, capturing the last region as well as catching a particular region.
- Basis the need select the specific requirement, you may start with ‘capture region’.
- Once you select an area, you will see a context menu popping up.
- Click ‘Save as (displaying dialog)’ to directly save the image onto a location.
Editing a screenshot on Windows 7 easily
- If you want to edit a screenshot, follow the same steps as above, but on the above menu, click ‘Open in Image editor’. An image editor opens up, and thus you can edit your screenshot therein. You can add text, obfuscate a particular area or even add some shapes into your screenshot.
- You can edit the screenshot with the following functions.
- You can format the text using options at the top. You can also change the font, increase the font-size or make the text bold.
- Once you have finished editing, hit ‘Ctrl + S’ to save and you are done!
How to directly upload your screenshots to Imgur on Windows 7
One of the cool things that I love about Greenshot is its ability to directly upload the screenshots to Imgur. You don’t have to create an account, signup or sign in to upload the image. Just click the “upload image to Imgur” option and it will do the rest.
- Once the image is uploaded, you will notice a balloon notification at the taskbar. You can click that balloon to view the image on Imgur.com
- Click the icon on taskbar and select Imgur>> History to view the screenshots you have uploaded. You will see a window similar to the one below.
- You can delete, open and copy the links of the image easily using this window. As you can see, I have opened one of my screenshots on Imgur and it works flawlessly.
I believe now you have mastered how to take screenshots on windows 7 and edit them, as well as upload them online. There may be other programs in this arena but I presume this one to be the best. It has got all the nifty features and you don’t have to pay a penny. So, start clicking! 🙂