It’s always safe to be anonymous!
Yes, in the virtual world, you never know who’s stealing your info. And if you are into a business, virtual privacy is absolutely essential.
No doubt, there has been tremendous progress in the technological advancements, but with that, cyber crime has also increased to a remarkable extent, and hackers are always up with new ways to steal your data, and make big chunks of money.
Cyber crime is a point on the webs of the internet we tend to ignore, and most of us are completely blank about the precautions to prevent cyber crime, and more specifically, protect yourself in this vulnerable era.
And that’s where some effective solutions started coming up, one of which is surfing through proxy.
What is a proxy?
To define, a proxy is another computer on the web through which requests on the internet are processed on your behalf. It serves as a “middle-man” between your home machine and the rest of the computers connected to the internet.
Why use a proxy?
Mainly, proxies are used to surf anonymously through the internet. The proxy makes requests on your behalf, and thus doesn’t reveal your identity.
There are tons of PHP scripts available on the internet which can let you set up your proxy. However, you require a domain and a host name for this method to work. Thus, in other words, setting up a proxy in such a way isn’t free.
But no worries, you are soon going to learn how you can set up your own proxy server for free.
How to set up your own proxy server for FREE?
Setting up your own proxy isn’t as complicated as it sounds. However, there are a bit of complications here and there. But this step by step guide will make it absolutely simple to get going.
- Visit appengine.google.com, sign-in using your Google account and allow it to get started. Refer to the below image:
- Google App Engine is what we are going to use for this project. Press the ‘Create Application’ button (Refer above image)
- You now need to fill the form with the necessary details. Choose the Application Identifier and Application Title of your choice. What you need to make sure here is that you keep to choose the application open to all Google accounts. Take a look at the below screenshot:
- You will now see a confirmation message, keep it aside. (If your phone number is not verified by Google anytime before, you will be asked to verify it).
- The proxy server application is based on Python. Download Python 2.7.9 and install it on your computer. (Click here to download). Note that Mac users can skip this step, since they already have Python installed.
- You will find two HTML files, one YAML file and some Python files in this ZIP. Click here to download a zip file, which you will need. It contains some required files, click on the download option on the upper right. At this point you should extract it on your desktop for easy access because it will be required in the following process.
- Google App Engine SDK is from where we are going to execute our project! You will now need to download Google App Engine SDK for Python. (Click here to download).Depending upon your OS, choose the appropriate option. Install it as well.
- Once you’ve installed it, press the “Run Launcher” button.
- Reach out to Edit from menu bar-> Preferences and enter the following values:
Python Path: C:\Python27\pythonw.exe
App Engine SDK: C:\Program Files\Google\google_appengine
Then press ok.
Note: As a foolproof way, choose the path from c drive, so that there is no error in entering the path/destination like shown in the image below.
- Hover to File from menu-> Add an existing application – >Browse for the files you downloaded in step 6. Note that you need to extract the ZIP file first.
- Replace ‘YOUR_APP_ID’ with your App Id. ( this is the id – you created in step 1)
You will be able to edit it by clicking on the “Edit” button( appearing as a thumbnail below menu). For editing, select the app id from the application launcher. After entering your app id – save it by pressing ctrl + S from keyboard.
- Quite close now! Press the “Deploy” button.
- You will now be asked to enter you Google account credentials. Enter the same. You will see something like below:
- That’s it. You can access your proxy at your_app_id.appspot.com (Replace your_app_id with your App Id). So every time you surf a website using the proxy server created, it will be anonymous surfing.
The technique is very long, but the efforts are worth it. After all, you are getting a proxy for lifetime, and that too at no cost to you! Isn’t that awesome by itself?
To conclude, I must confess that you will take some time for this trick to work, and you might even feel stuck if you aren’t suited to messing up with such stuff.