These days, each and every person has a computer and each user save some confidential or personal data in their hard drive. But in some situations, we might have to share our computer with family or friends so we ought to secure or protect our information from them. In such a scenario, we hide folder or files, or else make use of third-party software to lock or hide files and folders.
However, if your do not remember your password when making use of third-party software in order to unlock your data present in the drive then you are sure to lose your data permanently. In order to overcome this complication, Microsoft has emerged with a latest feature in windows 7 operating system and now we are going to discuss about this specific feature.
With the support of this feature, you are sure to lock your drive devoid of using any kind of software on your computer. The name of this wonderful feature is BitLocker that pre installed in windows 7.
Unfortunately, many people are not aware about this inbuilt feature of windows 7 OS,Before knowing about the procedure involved in locking the drive in windows 7 using BitLocker, you must known basic thing about BitLocker.
What is BitLocker?
The main purpose of the BitLocker is to protect your data stored in the drives. It is an in-built encrypting tool in the windows 7 operating system. It encrypts your drive and hence locks it easily by means of easy to remember password. When BitLocker is applied on any drive, all the files in that drive automatically get encrypted. To get the encrypted drive, the authorized individual has to mention the appropriate password.
Steps To Lock Your Drive With BitLocker
- From start menu go to computers or Press the windows button key + E to open the windows explorer. After that choose which hard drive you like to lock by applying password.
- After that, click right on the drive that you want to lock and select “Turn on Bitlocker”.
Note: For using BitLocker you should have two or more partitions on your drive.
- Check the box” Use a password to unlock the drive” and use password with appropriate upper, lower case with numbers and symbols, then click on Next.
- Next Pop up window will show three options to store your recovery key, Basis your preference you can choose any.
Save the recovery key to USB flash drive.
Save the recovery key to a file on your system.
Print the recovery key.Note: This recovery key will be of use, if you forget the password to access the drive that has been locked using BitLocker.
- Now click” start encrypting” to begin encryption, this can take some time depending upon your drive size. After the process is complete, Restart your computer and you are done.
Note: This process to lock Drive on Windows 7 OS works only on Ultimate & Enterprise edition.
Steps to Unlock Drive locked with BitLocker
- Click on start menu and type “BitLocker” in search box.
- Select the “BitLocker Drive Encryption” from the search list.
- Next to the drive that is locked, you will see Turn off Bit Locker option, click on the same and it will ask for permission for Decrypting that Drive.
- Once you proceed with Decrypting it will take some time depending upon your Drive size.
Congratulations! You have learnt both the processes to lock and unlock a drive using BitLocker on Windows 7 Operating system.
Also learn To hide files in windows 7 & 8
Summary on BitLocker:
There are numerous tools and software available to lock and protect your data in the drives however BitLocker is pre installed on Windows 7 OS. Therefore, users need to depend upon third party software to lock their computer hard drive. You can depend upon BitLocker rather than using software.
Should you need to learn more about BitLocker or have any FAQ, you can check the same here.