During the past few years, the cost for data storage has exponentially come down. Plus, the size of hard disks and other storage devices have fallen down drastically. Albeit disk space may not be a hassle these days, duplicate files on your system can prove to be one. Hence I have compiled this post on how to remove duplicate files on windows.
Why you need to find the duplicate files on your computer?
The primary reason why you need to know “How to find duplicate files on windows and remove them?” can be accounted to data storage wastage. It also brings the hassle in structuring your data. For instance, if you have a music collection, then you will know the con of having scattered duplicated music files all over.
Moreover, duplicate files keep spreading to other media too. When you backup a duplicated file, you are creating more number of copies of the file which you won’t know in reality.
Step by step guide on how to find duplicate files on windows
In this guide I will be walking you through the process using a simple program called Easy Duplicate Finder. You can get it here. Also note that this is a paid tool beyond 10 set of duplicate file set removal.
- Once you download the setup of that program. Install it onto your system.
- Open it up and you should see a window similar the one below.
As you can see over here, there are a bunch of options to find duplicate files. You need to initiate a scan to look for redundant files.
A friendly wizard button at the top right is helpful if you get stuck at any point and need instant help.
- First off, select the folders where you want to look for duplicated files. You can select a whole drive itself, An easy way to scan a drive is to click right on the drive and you will see the option to “find duplicate files”. By a click it will move to the scan disk view screen.
- However, do know that it may take some time to scan the entire drive. I have selected a folder called “Folder with duplicates” and there are 4 files in it.
- Once done selecting the folder, you can optionally choose the folders and sub-folders that need to be excluded from the scan. Most of the time, it can be left blank and further, you can initiate the scan.
- Once the scan is completed, you will be shown with the results.
- In my case, four duplicate files have been found. Click “Go fix them” Button to start cleaning up.
- Now you will be presented with a list of files that exhibit duplication. Select the files that you want to delete. Below you could see a tiny summary of the space occupied by the redundant files and the number of files scanned.
- Click the green ‘Manage Duplicates’ button at the top to see a list of options. In my case, I would like to delete the files, thus I click the ‘delete selected’ option.
- You can either delete the files permanently or move it to the recycle bin. Once you proceed by clicking ‘yes’ you will be prompted with a list of files that have been deleted.
- Thus you have completed removing the duplicated files on the selected folders. You can explore the other options by clicking the settings button at the top. Also, you can sort out the files you want to find in particular like Music, documents or pictures.
Some tips to avoid file duplication on Windows
- Always categorize your files into folders and sub-folders.
- A good etiquette while downloading files is to move it from the ‘Downloads’ folder to a respective folder once it is completely downloaded. For instance, if you have downloaded some mp3 files, move it to your music folder. A cluttered downloads folder can be seen on everyone’s PC these days.
- Have a separate space to back up your data. If you don’t have a well-organized structure for your back up, it may end up in duplicate files.
Data storage scarcity is never a concern these days. With the emergence of personal cloud storage solutions like Google Drive and One Drive from Microsoft, there may not be a need to worry about storage space. However, this shouldn’t keep you off from cleaning duplicated or cloned files on your PC.
Replicated files come with a lot of other hassles thus I think it will be better if you know how to find duplicate files on windows and remove them. It is also a nice idea to frequently backup your files in a separate location So that you can avoid further chances of file duplication.
Note-Trial version lets you remove 10 set of duplicate. Minimum charge for one computer for one year is $39.95. That’s a reasonable cost for a good and reliable software to keep your PC clean of duplicate files.