There are many Online file sharing sites, the one that I use the most is – Google drive. It has a smooth and reliable method of document sharing. There is no doubt that it has a wider scope of accessibility, including the Android Smartphone and android tab as well.
Also, the method of sharing data on Google drive has been kept really simple and sophisticated, without adding any technical hassle. Apart from being simple it is a free file sharing platform.
Google drive offers 15 GB of free storage space on the cloud, which should be sufficient for personal use. If you are a business user, then you can buy additional storage as per plan given here
Let’s see how you can share your documents using the Google drive (also known popularly as Google shared drive.)
Steps for Easy document sharing on Google drive-
- To use the Google drive file sharing feature, you must have a Google account. Your Gmail and/ or Google+ account will work just fine with the Google shared drive as well.
- If you do not have any account, visit the Google drive login page. Click on the ‘Create Account’ link to move on the Google account creation page.
- Just fill in the relevant details. You will need to verify the mobile number which is a one time process. Once done, you will have the account, using which you can access the Google Drive and its features.
- Log in to the Google Drive, home page will appear. Create a file by clicking on the ‘Create’ button and choose the appropriate document type to be created.As shown in image, basis your document sharing need, you may select spread sheet, or presentation or another file type.On the top right side, below your name – you can see comments and share, you can post comment about the document and then click on share, Once you name the file it will appear on the subject line in the recipient e mail.
- Also, you can click on the arrow button, adjacent to the ‘Create’ button to upload the readymade file from your PC. Click on this arrow and choose ‘File’ from popup menu. Add document from the appropriate location from your drive. It will show in the list form on the screen. Recipient will see the document name on his e mail subject line ( if shared through e mail), so do mention suitable file name on your PC before it is uploaded.
- Right click on the file name, the pop menu will appear. Click on ‘Share’ and choose ‘Share…’ option form next submenu. This can also be invoked by checking the box alongside the relevant file name and clicking on ‘More’ menu at the top. Click on ‘Share’ then choose ‘Share…’.By following this step, you are just on your way to share files with other users.
- From the next window frame, add email address in the textbox at the bottom to invite people with whom you want to share the file. Click on the side link ‘Can Edit’ to choose the access type.On the sharing settings page,The ‘Can Edit’ gives read and write Access to the people invited, while ‘Can view’ gives only Read Access. The ‘Can comment’ gives permission to Comment on the File apart from the Read Access.
- Once you are done with the settings, click on send button to send the shared link to the invited people. You can add multiple emails, separated by commas. The access type chosen once will be applied to all people invited by using comma separated email list format. Click on ‘Done’ button in the next window frame; that’s it.
Congratulation! You have successfully shared your document using the Google drive online file sharing feature. Next time, whenever you update your document or folder, the invited people will be able to view it using the access right provided by you. Using this feature, you can share multiple files online with one or more people with different access permission to all. However, you will always have the right to remove the people from the shared list by following the same process as done above.
Best thing that i like about Google drive is that it can be easily accessed through smartphone devices as well as computer system. Steps to share files and folders on Google drive are same for all devices.
More over through the comments you and recipient can have discussion about the document.
Overall, Google drive has been a swift way to share documents worldwide without any compatibility issue.
Bonus Tip – Share large files on whatsapp using Google drive, Two methods explained one uses Google drive indirectly and second one uses Google drive to share link of large files, check out this video
So I guess, now you are comfortable and know – How to share files on Google Drive? If you find this of use, please share this on your social network for others to benefit.