The operating systems- Android and iOS play a tremendous role in the field of technology today. Before we go into details about the two, let us know them individually.
Android Operating System- a gift by Google Inc., is special for its touch inputs that correspond to what we do in our day-to-day lives such as swiping, pinching, tapping, etc in order to perform the actions, and is mainly used in touch-screen devices such as smartphones and tablets. Not only this, it also has specially designed user interfaces for televisions, cars and wristwatches, and is also used in game consoles, computers, digi-cams and various other electronic devices. Today, Android tops all operating systems in terms of installation base.
iPhone OS, better known as iOS, on the other hand, is a product of Apple Inc. This operating system is generally found on products by Apple itself, such as, iPhone, iPad, etc. iOs has presence of multi-touch interface and just like Android, it also includes gestures such as tap, swipe, etc. iOS has some interface control elements. Apart from this, it has presence of internal accelerometers by which applications can respond to the shaking or rotation of the concerned device.
Android operating system
Now let us know about Android OS in details. At first, let us go through its pros and cons.
Advantages of Android
- Multitasking: The devices loaded with Android OS are capable to perform a number of tasks at a time. Yes, you can download your favourite game, browse your favourite websites and listen to your favourite song at the same time.
- Diverse options: Unlike iOS that’s available only to devices manufactured by Apple, Android phones are available from different companies- be it Sony, Samsung, Gionee, Motorola, and many more- where each manufacturer presents their Android phone in their own unique style.
- Widgets on homescreen: With your android device, you can make a quick access to the apps without entering into the menu or browsing several folders. You can add widgets of your favourite apps right on the homescreen.
- Google Play: Android devices give you cool stuff as Google Play by which you can download your favourite apps, games, etc at one go!
- Google made easy: In android devices, you can have a very easy access to Google services such as Gmail, Google plus, Google maps, etc.
Limitations of Android
- Internet is a must: More than half of the apps won’t run on an android phone if there is non-presence of internet. For smooth functioning, Android phones require continuous internet connection. So, you need to update your internet pack every time.
- Presence of Ads: Every other application on android phone has an advertisement attached to it, be it on top or bottom. This often cannot be ignored and proves disturbing.
- Generates heat: Android phones, when used for a good time, tend to generate heat.
iOS Operating System
Now that we have seen the advantages and limitations of Android, it is time to find the same for iOS for a fair comparison.
Advantages of iOS
- Apart from features common to Android devices like multitasking, easy screen-touch and versatile app support, iOS carries some more features that make it advantageous. Let us see them.
- Generates less heat: Compared to Android devices, iOS devices generate lesser heat.
- Compact: The iOS devices are slim and compact. The number of features it supports doesn’t make it weighty. It doesn’t carry much weight. It fit in the arms and thus, gives an awesome feel.
- Fingerprint lock: The devices allow you to increase the security by allowing fingerprint locking facility.
- Multi-language: iOS devices supply you with a number of languages for typing messages.
Limitations of iOS
- Costly: iOS devices are very costly. Not only its purchasing cost, the cost of its repairs also is often capable of making your wallet empty.
- No widget support: Unlike Android devices, iOS devices do not support on screen widgets.
- No dual-SIM support: Again, unlike Android, iOS devices support just single SIM card.
- No diverse option: You generally will get iOS only in devices manufactured by Apple Inc. You won’t find the same in devices by other companies.