Cloud storage is a cloud computing model in which data is stored on remote servers that can be accessed anytime using Internet. Cloud storage can save lots of space on your android device. You can simply keep you files on cloud and access them whenever you need via internet. There are a lots of cloud storage providers, some are free and some come with a small fee. If you are not using Cloud services for your business then free storage may fulfill your requirement. Otherwise, you can spend some money and upgrade to premium in order to get more space.
Rising usage of Cloud storage on Android
There is a massive increase in the usage of cloud storage apps on android smart phones due to the pricing factor of android Smartphones. This has resulted in the increase of numbers of android Smartphones users, thus rise in the usage of cloud storage on android.
In this article, I will list some of the best cloud storage apps for android.
1) Google Drive
I have used most of the cloud storage platforms and have found Google drive to be best. It provides 15 GB of free storage to every user. You just need a Google account in order to get this free space. You can store all your Gmail attachments in Google Drive. You can also edit your spreadsheets and documents, view them and keep everything safe in Drive right from your phone. With 15 GB of free storage space, you can store lots of documents, photos, videos. You can get Google Drive app from here.
Special Features of Google Drive
- You can use it offline using Google drive app on mobile.
- You can easily collaborate your Gmail account with Google Drive.
- Google drive supports a lot of file formats. You can check more about it here
- You can check my video on how to use Google drive in Gmail and do online document editing,
2) Microsoft One Drive
One Drive from Microsoft offers 7 GB of free cloud storage space. It allows users to store files and access them from any device while on the go. Previously, One Drive was known as Sky Drive. With a free Hotmail account you can get 7 GB of free space. It is a good alternative to Google Drive. You can easily manage your files, share files and photos with your friends or you can simply view your documents. On buying Office 365, they provide you 1 TB of free online storage. This app allows you to upload photos and videos from your phone. You can get the One Drive app from here.
Special Features of Microsoft One Drive
- It provides you extra 5 GB of free storage when you refer your friend.
- It has an option to automatically transfer photos from your phone to the cloud. This allows you to delete old photos and free up space on your phone.
- It can opens documents, spreadsheets etc on Office Mobile. If you don’t have Office Mobile installed, then, the app asks you to download the app.
3) Mega – 50 GB Free Storage Space
Mega is the only cloud storage application which provides 50 GB of free storage upon creating account with them. You can easily manage your Mega account, share files with your friends. Content that is uploaded to Mega is kept in secure and encrypted format. So, your files are always safe with Mega. You can also synchronize your camera with your account to automatically get a copy of images or videos whenever you connect it. You can download this app from Playstore.
- You can choose which folder to sync on your device.
- You can set specific file sharing permissions, for e.g. read-only, read/write, etc.
- It has End-to-end encryption, which keeps you files safe on their cloud storage.
Box is the one of the popular cloud storage platform. It is a simple and easy to use application. This app provides 5 GB of free cloud storage with personal accounts. You can subscribe at 10 USD per year for 25 GB of extra cloud storage space. You can store files on their cloud storage platform and can access them anytime. This app allows you to share files and folders with other Box users. You can also create links to share files externally. It allows you to preview each and every file before downloading them. You can get this app for free from Playstore.
- You can view, edit, create, and share content on the go from you Smartphone.
- It automatically sync files between your PC and Box cloud storage platform using Box Sync.
- You can save files locally for offline access.
Dropbox is fast, free and reliable cloud storage platform. It is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily with your friends. It only provides 2 GB of storage capacity for free. Dropbox is no-brainer and easy to use. You can upgrade to Dropbox Pro for USD 9.99/month or USD 99.99/year. It provides 1 TB of storage space to Dropbox Pro users. It has a user friendly interface. Overall, it is a good cloud storage platform. You can download their app from here.
- You will get extra space every time you add a new device to Dropbox such as your Smartphone or your PC.
- You can open documents, spreadsheets and view them but you can’t edit them from within the app. In order to edit them you have to install 3rd party apps like Quick office and Microsoft Office Mobile.
- Relatively very easy to use when compared with other cloud storage providers.
Factors for Choosing Cloud Storage
- If you use Gmail, it will be easy to use Google drive because you can directly add your email attachments to your Google Drive account. Same in the case of hotmail, you can add your hotmail attachments directly to your One Drive account.
- If you upload your files from your PC rather than doing it directly from your email account, you can opt for more space. In that case, Mega is the best for you because it has 50 GB of free storage.
- Cloud storage app that you finally choose and continue to use is more a function of personal usage and requirement. A friend of mine who works at an agency where they draft CV’s of candidates for a fee, at any point of time, two or more people work on the same CV, there company prefers Good drive because of seamless document collaboration.
So, this was all about cloud storage apps. You can get over 70 GB of free space by joining all the cloud storage providers listed above. In my opinion it is more than enough. Still if you think you need more you can always upgrade to their premium plans. If you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends.